Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday Country Breakfast




It's Saturday and it is cloudy and mild, my husband and I map out our morning of errands revolving around our dog Bailey's grooming appointment. After dropping Bailey off my husband said lets just drive along highway 156. Highway 156 is a rural road that passes through small towns like Justin, Ponder and Krum, Texas. We pass several farms with cows and horses grazing in the fields. We soon came upon the small town of Krum and enter there small main street area. Very cute with a few antique shops, a town museum amongst a few other shops. My husband spots a small eatery called Krum Diner and says lets have breakfast. Upon entering this quaint diner it takes me back to a more simpler time. A small open dining area with red vinyl booths and tables and chairs in the center. There is a table occupied with 4 local firemen eating breakfast. A few people walk in after us and say hello to the firemen and sit down. A town this small people are sure to know one another and this small diner is a reminder of the small town feel.
There is a small sign that say's fresh pies baked daily like cheesecake and various fruit pies, makes me want to take a pie home but I restrain myself.

Our waitress walks over and gives us our breakfast menus which reveal typical breakfast menu choices. We are offered fresh coffee in white ceramic mugs and say yes without hesitation. Great Coffee to start or meal.

My husband orders a veggie omelet with crispy hashbrowns, wheat toast and I order two scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and wheat toast. Within 10 minutes our breakfast is served by the pleasant waitress. Now I know you say, well breakfast is breakfast, but such a simple food in our opinion not everybody gets it right, but Krum Diner did! My husband's omelet was loaded with veggies and cooked to perfection. The hashbrowns were crispy and well cooked although he would have preferred sauteed onions mixed in with his hashbrowns. So, with a healthy dose of hot sauce he managed to clean the plate before I could take a picture, thus explaining no photo of my husbands plate. My husband said it was one of the best cups of coffee he has had, fresh and hot! He said he wished he could have taken a cup to go.
My order was served and I began to sample the scrambled eggs first, simple but cooked very well with a slight taste of butter, my bacon had a slight smokey flavor, thin and crispy. I then sampled the potatoes which were cut into cubes and seasoned with salt, pepper and something else (couldnt figure out) and pan fried to golden brown, just the way I like them. Wheat toast pulled the breakfast together with fresh hot coffee.

If you like a quaint small atmosphere, Krum Diner is your place, it almost felt like you are eating in someone's kitchen. Also, there specials include catfish served on Friday's. Ask them about there homemade pies. Krum Diner is located on the corner of highway 156 & FM1173, Krum, TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment